Ellevest

Magazine

Ask Sallie: What Can Companies Do to Move Forward in Gender Equality? (Video)

By Sallie Krawcheck

Recently, 12% of companies were called “first movers” in equality. What can the other 88% do to move forward? Here’s Sallie’s solution.


Sallie’s answer:

Promote more women. Just go, and leave all the stuff that doesn’t work behind. And be really honest about the stuff that doesn’t work.

Your women’s group — if it’s been in place for eight years, and you’re not getting more women ahead — stop doing it. Your mentoring program that’s been in place for five or ten years, it’s not getting women in, stop doing that, too.

Close that gender board gap, as others have done. Promote more women. Promote other people of color. Promote more people in the minority, just as others have done.

If you think it’s important, and business results would indicate that they are superior when you have a more diverse leadership team, then stop with all the flapping activity, and just do it.


Disclosures

© 2019 Ellevest, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

All opinions and views expressed by Ellevest are current as of the date of this writing, for informational purposes only, and do not constitute or imply an endorsement of any third party’s products or services.

Information was obtained from third party sources, which we believe to be reliable but not guaranteed for accuracy or completeness.

The information provided does not take into account the specific objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific person.

The information provided should not be relied upon as investment advice or recommendations, does not constitute a solicitation to buy or sell securities and should not be considered specific legal, investment or tax advice. Investing entails risk including the possible loss of principal and there is no assurance that the investment will provide positive performance over any period of time.

Don’t miss an update

What you need to know about managing your financial health during the coronavirus pandemic. Plus fact-based opinions and women supporting women. Delivered 3x a week.

Sallie Krawcheck

Sallie Krawcheck is the Co-Founder & CEO of Ellevest. Her life’s mission is to help women to reach their financial and professional goals.